Following are updates on Expatriate Application as presented by the Expatriate Division and Visa, Pass and Permit Division of the Immigration Department during FMM Dialogue with the Director General of Immigration on June 7, 2011.
A new expatriate category has been introduced for those earning less than RM5000 and with a two-year contract effective April 2011 under the 12 National Key Economic Areas.
- New criteria for expatriate application are as follows:
- No age limit;
- Requirement for an understudy is lifted;
- The pass is based on the contract of service but not exceeding 5 years;
- The work duration of ten years for executive and five years for non-executive is lifted;
- Fast track applications for those earning RM8000 and above and those applications supported by the regulatory bodies would be processed within a day;
- For fast track application involving those earning RM8000 and above, employers are required to provide a letter of undertaking stating the salary that they are paying to avoid fake applications.